RE: Extreme heroquesting (was Re: Wizardly HQing_)

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 22:14:48 +0100

> A related question: Some gods' myths don't seem to lend themselves to
> heroquesting, at least at first glance. For example, the Heortling
> Goddess Ernalda has a bunch of myths of the form "Then Ernalda pulled
> some complicated ritual out of nowhere to [call back Esrola | make
> Orlanth King | whatever]." Do Ernalda worshippers just skip
> heroquesting altogether, do they have other myths more amenable to
> heroquesting, or is there some way to make a heroquest out of these
> "and then a miracle happens" kinds of myths?

Well, that's a lot like "and then Vinga used her own wind that no-one had heard of before". Ernalda isn't the only culprit by any means. I think a lot of these are the "how you gain Feat X" HQs. A Devotee who knows the feat leads you, you all join in, and at that point you find you unexpectedly know how to call that wind, do that ritual, fly, whatever. By divine inspiration, if you like.