Duck Banners

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 22:19:39 +0100

Hello Jane and folks,

Good query which got me thinking on duck banners! Personally I'd adopt a standard somewhat like the sashimono (samurai back-banner), crossed with the wings of the Polonic Husaria (wondrous wings worn to addorn the harness of Polo-Lithuanian cavalry, in the C16th+).

I can sketch a diagram if you'd like. Basically, this would mimic a banner that hangs from a right-angled frame attached (and hanging perpendicular) to the duck's back. This can easily be achieved with paper and cocktail sticks. Try doing a Google image search for sashimono, and you'll see what I mean.

Rather than adopting the rectangular form of a typical sashimono, you could trim the rear and hanging edges of the banner so it was 'feathered', taking the form of a mock duck's wing (even alternating chevrons snipped out would look effective). The ducks themselves might use painted reeds and other natural materials (other than cloth) to make this banner; wickerwork could be fairly easily approximated by penwork before a light coat.

Even 'normal' ducks could use these, while the leader could possess one (or two!) particularly grandiose versions. I envisage these as being quite like husaria wings; not only can they augment noises made in the marsh, but they rather amusingly highlight (and address!) the durulz's gross inferiority complex over their own inability to fly and their lack of real wings.

The starched banner could also help act as a 'back fin', for when the ducks are navigating the waterways or marshlands.

Given the size of the duck miniatures, and the preference for a clear, resonant standard, hopefully this should do. As the banner itself possesses a slightly more complex geometry, a very simple colour scheme and single (DEATH!) rune should work well.

Cheerio,

Stu.