Sartar

From: markmohrfield_at_...
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 15:27:44 -0000

Peter Metcalfe
>>We are not talking about whether the Heortlings regard him as
> >a superhero* but about whether he is _objectively_ one**.
> >the crude criterion being whether he can hold a candle to
> >Harrek and JarEel in terms of DP statistics.

Me
>This would require all superheroes to be warriors,

Peter Metcalfe
>>No, it doesn't. All it means is that Harrek would have to
>>roll a six to do him/her in.

Your earlier comment seemed to indicate that combat ability was the determinig factor in wether or not a hero was in the "super" catagory. In any case, Sartar's mastery of the Motion rune would make his having a Dragon Pass style heroic escape on a 1-5 on a D6 roll one of his more likely abilities.

Me
>Martin Dick's conversation with Sandy Peterson would seem to indicate
>that Sartar was unusual in that his achievements were made with
>relatively little violence.

Peter Metcalfe
>One could say the same about Arim the Pauper becoming King of Tarsh.<

He may have become king through peaceful means but one of Arim's achievements was defeating the Lunar army at the Battle of Falling Hills.

Me
>But p143 also states that Sartar was the only man to ever negate the
>curse that kept the Larnsti confined to Heortland, albeit at the
>price of never being able to return to that land.

Peter Metcalfe
>Does this make him "extraordinary in terms of glorantha"? For a
>dragon pass hero, yes, he _is_ noteworthy, but for the wider
>arena of glorantha, he's only one of many colourful heroes.

If he is indeed the only man to ever have achieved it, that makes him "extraordinary in terms of Glorantha" in my book.

Again, I'm not arguing that Sartar is definitely a superhero , just that what we know about him doesn't rule out the possibility.

                                                 Mark Mohrfield