RE: Sacred Time rituals in play - saga style

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:22:08 +0100

 Jeff Richard:

> Here's an example of Sacred Time rituals in play. My band of
> Heortlings are currently in Balazar and decided to perform the
> Sacred Time rituals on the Otherside. Because they are away from
> most of their sources of support and are outside of the traditional
> Heortling lands, the rituals were harder and more dangerous than
> normal. Good fun all around - enjoy!

Nice stuff, and just goes to show that you *can* do this sort of thing. I take it this was HeroPlane, not God or mere practise level?

What sort of power level are the PCs at? I take it all the LBQ positions except those described as NPCs *were* PCs, you don't say?

But to be totally unfair, let me now quote and use as an example the one single sentence I didn't like, because it's such a perfect example of a point I've been trying to make on and off for ages. This writeup is in the style of those Sagas. The ones lots of people say are wonderful, and I say are mostly incomprehensible. It's heavily abbreviated, it relies on background knowledge. In thise case I might be able to find the background knowledge from reading other chapters of this group's Saga, or from reading myth writeups. Norse sagas, I can't do either.

> On Together Day,

Whatever that is

> Orlanth designated Brenna as thane.

Leader position in whatever these rites are, I take it.

> The questers passed to the Otherworld with great ease.

Obvious enough.

> Kaylin and Kagradorl's love for each other was strong.

Huh? Who are Kaylin and Kagradorl? Not mentioned before. What does their love for each other have to do with anything? Is it about to be explained... Nope. Any further explanation or even mention of this incident, or either of the two names..? Kaylin gets the Ginna Jar slot, I find much later. So? Any link to the preceding or following sentences? Nope. So what did that sentence have to do with anything?

That's just one sentence, in a writeup that made sense. But the Sagas are full of this stuff! Here I could, if I really wanted, go and look up (somewhere) what "Together Day" is (at least, I assume I can - as it is, I just shrug and miss that bit of story).

See why I don't often bother reading Sagas? As a source of research material, when you *want* to go and look up obscure details, great. As a fun story - no.