RE: Re: Sacred Time rituals in play - saga style

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:59:50 +0100

> > See why I don't often bother reading Sagas? As a source of research
> > material, when you *want* to go and look up obscure details, great.
> > As a fun story - no.
>
> I curious -- is there anything Jeff could have supplied that would
> have made the log more readable?

Oh, lots of stuff, which presumably the original intended audience (his players) didn't need. Or which he didn't have time to write/transcribe - this is a F2F game, isn't it?

> - A list of player and nonplayer characters with occupation, cultures,
> major relationships (e.g. "Korlmhy - Heortling priest of Orlanth,
> brother of Herger")
>
> - A description of the setting (Balazar, in this case)
>
> - References to any sources other than the HeroQuest core rule book
> (_Thunder Rebels_ and _Griffin Mountain_, in this case).
>
> Or would it still have been kind of a drag, even with that background?

That would have helped in that it would have been more comprehensible, but (having thought about it even more), what prevents both this and the Sagas from being a readable story (interjection and disclaimer, I know, neither were written with that intention, this is comment, not criticism) is that there's nothing to get the reader interested in the characters. There aren't any characters. Just a list of names. And a list of actions that's almost at the level of "he rolled an 18 and 6 on the D8 and did 3 points of damage to his opponent's left leg."

> On Together Day, Orlanth designated Brenna as thane.

Yes, and? In what way does this make us interested in Brenna?

"She was delighted at the honour, but secretly nervous that she might let others down, remembering the last time she had taken such a position. The scars were still there, the outlying steads not yet fully rebuilt, and she was sure some of the carls eyed her behind her back and whispered that others would have been a better choice. But she prayed to her god each dawn and dusk, and was rewarded with the confidence that he at least trusted her to do well, and was with her. This would be the test that would prove her abilities to the tribe again. So she ignored the whispers and carried herself with pride in public, hiding her secret misgivings as unworthy of her God."

Now we have something to be interested in. Now I might remember her name beyond the next paragraph, and care about what happens to her.

Not that I have any idea if any of this fits the PC in question. I just made it up.