Re: Sagas and Literature

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:57:21 -0000

> Yep, leave the high falutin', hand-wringing angst-ridden
literature to
> the lunars (actually, angst-ridden seems more Humakti to me, but
then
> again I could never stand them either ;).

That's because the Humakti are nothing but thugs and lack the nuance of a city-lord or a lawspeaker.:) Actually, I doubt they write much at all, given that they are illiterate. I should have said, Heortling Lhankhor Mhy scribes like sagas.

> What would modern lunar literature be? I imagine old solar
literature
> being very similar to the slow, turgid, exposition rich victorian
> literature (with the occasional gems in the vein of Dickens, etc.)
but
> a good case could be made for the roman croniclers.

You think? My impression is that Dara Happan writing is like Gilgimesh or the earlier books of the Old Testament. "And then the army of Henjarl smote the treacherous Syllilans and the Lord of Hosts said it was good."

> > Carmanians I can see in the russian style - long, depressing...
> (particularly those influenced by the Spolites).

That I can definitely see.

> With the Lunars I'm always temped to go modern (or even pomo) so
I'll
> refrain from that.

Perhaps. Or weird wiggy high Indian literature. Maybe even a Bollywood story - "and now we do the dance of the Seven Mothers and the sacrifice of Teelo Norri." With all sorts of strange allusions and illuminating gems of wisdom.

> > Westerners - the obvious influences of Mallory, etc but what
else. Do
> they have wandering troubadours?

For some reason, I imagined that Plato could have done well in Ralios or maybe Loskalm. I imagine Seshnelan literature is like the monkish Gestes of the Normans and Franks.

> > All of this in the opinion of a biologist so to be taken with
large
> amounts of NaCl.

Agreed and salted. But this is a more interesting discussion item than Jane and I differing about what styles we prefer.

> Ps Jeff, David, Niel, etc. I might be dropping by Seattle in
> September (depending on how big a terrorist threat the US govt
thinks I am of course ;), so if you want a guest star appearence of
> an old SFC'er...

Let me know when - you know you are always welcome in town and it would be great see you!

Jeff