Re: Sagas and Literature

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 00:01:47 -0000

> Yes, I was starting to wonder about that. I'm aware of the vastness
of my
> ignorance when it comes to anything Western, but surely there aren't
many
> literate Gloranthan societies to *have* "literature"? Oral story-
telling,
> yes, but that's very different.

Even the Heortlings have "literature" - in the form of the writings of Lhankhor Mhy scribes. There might only be a thousand people in Dragon Pass who can read them, but that is still more than enough to support a literary style. Stylistically these are probably sagas, chronicles and geste. Oral stories probably put much greater emphasis on meter and rhyme (so that it is enjoyable to the ear) - and not on accuracy.

Jeff