Re: Sagas and Literature

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:51:50 +0100

Jane:

>Even in the Lunar Empire, the vast majority of the population is
>> illiterate and the vast majority of writers are clerks or priests. I
>> doubt there is anything resembling "popular literature".
>>
>> Jeff
>

>Yes, I was starting to wonder about that. I'm aware of the vastness of my
>ignorance when it comes to anything Western, but surely there aren't many
>literate Gloranthan societies to *have* "literature"? Oral story-telling,
>yes, but that's very different.

Most of it's going to be oral peasant stories, or hagiographies and holy books, yes. But I don't see why at least some Western societies couldn't have something like Mallory - full of allegory and all that, but literature none the less. Or even, at a stretch, Chaucer. It won't be a big tradition (due, as you say, to the limited audience), but it seems possible, especially in Loskalm, where they'd be quite into romantic fiction, I should think.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic