Elkoi - a terrible place to make a living

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 06:27:52 -0000

Here's another short saga writeup of my Heortling characters' wretched time spent trading in Elkoi (1616):

       After six days, we arrived in Elkoi without incident. We were greeted by 15 riders, a rag-tag group of barbarians. They greeted Joh Mith and Jorator in Balazaring. The two traders gave them gifts, but they behaved aggressively. They demanded to inspect Jorator's goods, but Korlmhy shouted them down.

       Elkoi had a new fort built along the ancient fort, containing what looked like Heortling longhouses made of stone.

       Brenna recognized the Lunar garrison as peltasts. There were about 200 of them.

       The Lunar guards stopped Joh Mith, and eventually let him through. They stopped us and began asking questions in fractured Balazaring. Jorator answered in Tarshite. They wondered why we were trading so far from home. Then a short, bald, clean-shaven man in a bronze cuirass arrived. He looked impressive to the warriors. He introduced himself, in Sartarite, as Sub-Master of Battles Euryptus, commander of the two centuries of the Mirinite Light Foot, and master of the garrison here. He repeated the question: why were there more Heortlings in Balazar, and why come to Elkoi? Jorator repeated that he had been invited to trade with Cyriel Endelkar, and that the other citadels were too impoverished. Euryptus asked if we were outlawed from Sartar. Jorator gave gifts, and gave his word. Euryptus said he did not trust the word of a merchant. He did accept Korlmhy's word, and returned the gifts: "All that's necessary is the word of an honorable man."

       Everyone who Euryptus thought was important were escorted to see the king. There were numerous paintings of the Red Emperor and Red Goddess, and a large mural of the Crimson Bat. Even the floor was tiled with multiple-armed goddesses. It was like being in a gallery of demons. Jorator was horrified, but Brenna resolved to learn each demon's strengths and weaknesses.

       We were met by king Glyptus, who was shaved and dressed like a Lunar. His wife Jocestis did not look Balazaring, and spoke to him in New Pelorian. Their son Silveus looked like he had never done any work in his life. His long hair was meticulously dressed, and he wore a long robe. Their daughter was there as well. All four had kohl around their eyes, lipstick, and powder. Another man had a short beard and wore trousers and silk tunic. With him was a beautiful woman, as attractive as Andretta Wolfheim. Glyptus greeted us in Balazaring, and mentioned that he was called "the Good" by his subjects. Jorator responded, speaking well of his companions. Glyptus asked his business. Jorator said that he was here to trade, and gave him a mirror and a bottle of Clearwine. They disparaged his cloth, but accepted 5 litres of honey. The king's wife whispered to Glyptus constantly. The king asked to inspect the goods, and took 5 ermine pelts and a hogshead of mead. He then said that Cyriel Endelkar would trade for the rest, and invited us for dinner. Then he ended the audience.

       The bearded fellow then approached Jorator. He said in Sartarite, "I would consider it a favor if, after you deal with Cyriel Endelkar, that you visit me prior to the king's feast. We may have some mutually profitable business. My name is Halcyon Var Enkorth."

       We then visited Cyriel's warehouse, a four-storey stone and wood building with its own palisade. There were three watchmen, and in its courtyard was a huge stone statue of a dog. Brenna didn't think it was a predator. As we passed, it suddenly started moving, and barked at us. Brenna instantly had her blazing spear on guard. A dark-haired man with a Tarshite moustache stepped out and said in Tarshite, "So you're the c***-suckers Regus sent to see me." Herger told him to call off his dog. Cyriel said he had never met anyone whose goal in life was to be killed trying to kill a stone dog, but he told the dog to heel. Jorator said he had decided to stop by as a favor to Regus, and showed him the goods. Cyriel asked if he had any slaves. He said the Dara Happans had killed off half their slaves, first provoking the rice-pickers to rebel and then putting down the rebellion. That meant slaves were worth a good price in silver.

       Cyriel made a low offer, but he was willing to pay in silver. While Jorator considered, he offered a round of Elkoi beer, which he said was terrible but all they could brew around here. Cyriel asked how Joh Mith had treated him. Jorator said that he drove a hard bargain, but treated him well. Cyriel said that the pig-folk probably didn't have enough wealth to support two caravans, and wondered how both Jorator and Joh could both keep operating. Were we going to kill Joh Mith? Jorator asked if he wanted someone killed. Cyriel said he'd been in Balazar for ten years, and didn't think it could support more than one caravan of any size. "Either this is your only trip, or it's Joh's last trip." Jorator said he didn't intend Joh any harm. Cyriel said, "Yeah, I figure you for the folk who don't have much of a future here. You don't trade in slaves, and they don't have that many furs here. And you don't seem like someone willing to take an opportunity when it stands."

       Jorator said he need to think about his offer. Cyriel said that some people might be willing to pay good amounts if Joh Mith were replaced. But he figured someone else would be the sort to get the 25 pounds of silver.

       Halcyon was at the King's Inn, another stone and wood building, three storeys tall. He wanted to meet Jorator and Korlmhy. He gave them drinks - not Elkoi beer. He said, "I know what you and your kinsmen are up to. I know you've been encouraging the hill king of Trilus to raid Elkoi.' Korlmhy replied that Yalaring liked big deeds, and in winter had to content himself with talk of them. Halcyon asked, "What's your angle? Is it to appease your rebel god or to avenge an ancestor?" Korlmhy said, "We're just telling him what he wants to hear. We're not popular with his priests. And he already seemed to prefer raiding Elkoi to Dykene."

"My directives would have me confiscate your goods and send
your kinsfolk to Mirin's Cross for interrogation and crucifixion.

"There is someone under your protection that if you were able
to bring to me, you would be well-rewarded and well-favored." Jorator asked who. "No kinsman of yours. That sage, Bluebird. I have a feud with him, as you would put it. Bring me Bluebird, or deliver him to my men, and I will make sure that Cyriel Endelkar gives you a better price, and give you five times his wergild in silver. One to pay off his kinsmen, one to give to your rebel gods, and three to keep. And it would only be the beginning of what I can do for you. My superior has much authority over what goes on in your kingdom. I could lighten the hand of the Empire on your people.

"If you don't take me up on my offer, I suggest you never
travel within three days of Elkoi. And I will send a missive to give your homeland special treatment."

       Kormlhy replied, "You have a very compelling argument." Jorator said he would give him an answer before he left.

       Korlmhy asked what King Glyptus would like to hear. Halcyon said the king had the tone-deaf ear of the tone-deaf barbarian he is.

       Nisk begged off from the feast, claiming he had drunk too much beer. The king's feast was a fine event. Most dishes featured honey. Dorasa drank lots of Lunar gin. The king's daughter flirted outrageously with Jorator. His son attached himself to Dorasa. The king made jokes about the pornographic decorations. His wife then told about a feast she'd heard of, where the Emperor served the Satraps jellied walktapus tentacles. Korlmhy replied that we had killed scorpion men, and gave their tails to people who considered sucking out the poison to be a delicacy. That set her off on a litany of exotic foods she wished she could have here. She herself was from Kostaddi. She said that Fyllich Kwan was a provincial town, but still a better posting than here.

       Elecora, the Seven Mothers priestess, seemed utterly reasonable by comparison. She told Brenna about the six-armed goddess who defeated the horse nomads by devouring their horses. Dorasa asked after the kinder Lunar goddesses, those who spun. Elecora replied that it was Orane, Ernalda, or Oria.

       We stayed outside the walls at the White Eubuck and discussed Halcyon's proposal. Our goods were still in Cyriel's warehouse. Nobody wanted to swear an oath to perform the deed, but we figured that we had to say yes.

       Jorator and Korlmhy told Halcyon that they would bring Bluebird to him. He asked them to swear on their gods and ancestors. He himself would swear no oath. They asked for a pass to Fyllich Kwan. He wrote something and sealed it. And he said if we were going on, we shouldn't bother selling to Cyriel.