Re: Digest Number 269

From: pascal milhau <pascal.milhau_at_...>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 15:23:46 +0100

> Well it is known that after Sartar was crushed, rivalries and
> feuds quickly flared and fighting was quite common. IMO if
> the belief in Sartar was as strong as you think, peace would
> have taken a lot longer to break down. Hence I'd place the
> loyalties of most Sartarites to the nation as a distant third
> behind clan and tribe (fourth if the cities are counted).
>
> --Peter Metcalfe

I don't so. A true nation can break into civil war just because the normal way of life has disapeared.
RW exemple: I think the kingdom of France was yet a contry with a strong sense of identity at the beginning of the 15th centurie. But the mental illness of the king (charles VI) and the defeat of Agincourt (as you say) brought the kingdom near complete dissolution (with the active contribution of king henry V of England). Feuds beetween nobles (from the Armagnacs/Bourguignons war to clannic-like skimirshes in the south of France and Brittany) erupted again, global insecurity rose and even socials structures were alterated.
If it can occurs to an centralizated kingdom like France, wich was not entirely conquered, I think that the lunar conquest of Sartar may have triggered this kind of behaviours even if every sartarites feels to belong to some supra-tribal entity .