Re: What makes it special?

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 07:42:00 -0000

> Part of it is nostalgia, Glorantha was the first fictional world to
> Probably the most important thing is that the people are real, they're
> not one dimensional goodies or baddies.
> Donald Oddy

I agree with Donald. I started playing Call of Cthulhu before Runequest and I was fond of the descriptive and realistic way to describe characters, experience advancement and world physics (an age more advanced than level system, experience points and saving throws). Next I loved the different magic systems in RQ and the way they were subtly different and still related to game world reality. Then there were the cultural, sociological and theological informations revealed in Borderlands supplement and sets like Genertela and Gods of Glorantha, which shed much more light and shadow in the world than any other I knew.
In the end I suspect the reason why I love Glorantha is because it cross-references with deep issues (political, cosmological, psychological) of the real world in a two way dialogue: it encourages me to observe real world history under different points of views and then to return to Glorantha to play with it like a simulation of anthropology.
It's an adult game, in positive terms, and one suited to inquisitive minds.

Gian