Re: Dawn campaign?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:22:08 +1300

Theo:

>Second, what are the key things I should keep in mind? Aside from the big
>geomythopolitical items (no Lunars, no history of godlearners, Arkat &
>Nysalor, etc), what would be different from the culture (esp Heortling) as
>described in the books?

It depends when you are setting it. Different periods require different tactics.

>My thought was to start the campaign with the Sunrise, and to have the
>players remember everything
>before (Darkness, Chaos, etc) as a dim confusing dream. (Mostly this is
>so that the players don't have
>to read a lot of exposition). I was thinking of having some people
>remember more than others (or
>remember certain events better than others) and that this is the start of
>organized religion. Any thoughts
>on this approach?

There was a fair bit of activity going on during the Silver Age which is up to a thousand years before the Dawn. Think of it as taking place during a dark and dismal ice age. I don't think there would be any great change in consciousness but if you desire such a change you can.

One important thing to notice is that the Dawn doesn't happen everywhere at the same time. Up to about two centuries afterwards some people are still wandering around thinking they are in the Darkness.

--Peter Metcalfe