Re: Saying thank you!

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:44:30 -0000

> > (although they might be more like gang signals than CRE hand and
arm
> > signals). This can certainly be called "Swordspeech" if you
want.

> Well, since Swordspeech exists, and this also seems likely to
exist...

Swordspeech exists in RQ2 and appears to have been dropped from the Glorantha Book and Gods of Glorantha in RQ3. The only mention of it that I can find is in Cults of Prax, which I don't think is completely authoritative any more (although let me know if there is another appearance).

Again, I don't mind performing some mental gymnastics to keep a halfbaked  idea from RQ2 around - I just think that Swordspeech was (and is) a half-baked idea. I'd prefer to drop with it along with Firespeech.

> > I just don't think it rises even to the level of hand signals
> > developed by some US gangs (which are remarkably sophisticated
> > systems - but outlaw argots tend to be pretty sophisticated,
whereas
> > Humakti have no such social need).
>
> They don't?? You don't think a group of social misfits with a
tendency to
> violence might have anything in common with gangs?

Not really. Ultimately, criminal gangs are secret societies that need to keep their routine activities hidden from the rest of society. Humakti are, by and largely, members of the Orlanthi warrior elite and have no compelling need to keep their activities clandestine.

Jeff