Re: Gorp #1

From: Rick Meints <rjmeints_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:31:46 -0000

MOB wrote:

> The "Alignment Tables for RuneQuest" article has
> ever been contradicted, though the popular culture
> references in the surprisingly good cartoon strip
> "Rulg the Barbarian" are somewhat dated in an NC-17
> sort of way. The "bonus" multi-level dungeon complex
> located directly under Apple Lane (who would have
> thought?) is perhaps implausible purely on ergonomic
> grounds - frankly, I don't think that many "gray
> elves", tusk riders and dragonsnails could fit into
> the space described - but it is by an author whose
> name you'd recognise and whose later work would be
> admired for its realism and Gloranthan veracity.

The alignment tables are a big yawn as far as I am concerned.

I promised not to out the writer, so I'll leave that to MOB, but I've heard the Apple Lane dungeon described as "four floors of secret doors". I can't say I'm a fan of the "chaos portal", which supposedly links it to Snake Pipe Hollow, but I'll try to keep an open mind. That certainly beats the author's suggestion of having the portal tie into the Judges Guild "Portals" series of modules! My how times change.

I'm not in my collector vault, so I don't have the issue at hand, but didn't Gorp #1 also have Monster conversion stats for classic D&D monsters like Umber Hulks, Beholders, and similar?

I wish I had this issue documented in the MiG. It's a great piece of mildly humorous Gloranthan esoterica.

Rick