Re: Lunar Occupation of Sartar

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:55:29 +0100 (CET)

Dr Moose:
> I'm trying to flesh out some more on the
> <http://www.mousir.btinternet.co.uk/RPG/balkoth/index.htm>Balkoth Tribe of
> <http://www.mousir.btinternet.co.uk/RPG/balkoth/index.htm>Sartar under
> Lunar Occupation c.1620 and keep running into a number of questions that I
> cannot answer (although I might not be reading enough - I have just about
> everything relevant.)

> Just how heavy is the Lunar occupation in Dragon Pass, or conversely, how
> thinly spread are the Lunars?

Mainly garrisoned in the cities, and escorting tax collectors or guarding Lunar property (similar to the estate on Colymar land). Maybe half of these Lunars are "official", the rest will be private bands sent there by "investors".

The Balkoth may see quite a bit of Lunar traffic, since they sit on both the Pavis and the Moonbroth trails reaching out of Boldhome.

> I know that Orlanth worship is outlawed and a death penalty rests on the
> heads of his priests, but how much can this really be enforced? (And as a
> secondary question what is the status of Vingans in the "enslaved"
> tribes).

> Are the "enslaved" tribes such as the Balkoth really under heavy military
> domination, or is it more a case that the "hearts and minds" battle has
> been won by the Lunars? (Or at least they instill enough fear to stop a
> major rebellion?)

> There must have been a large military force available for the original
> conquest, and enough to mount police and counter-insurgency actions (such
> as the removal of the Balkoth Tribe's goats), but do we know how much
> presence there is, say in a tribal capital or major stead?

> Any ideas folks (other than YGMV)?

The goat thing may very well be a privately backed project some Lunar interest group managed to get onto the gouvernor's agenda. If so, the backing cartel might have their own "goat police".

How about a Jarsting or otherwise Ulurdan cartel in the Empire wanting to test the suitability of both marginal Sartar and nearby Prax for their beasts? They may actually have the best intentions, being blind how anyone could connect their noble beasts to anything bad. The person they bribed in the gouvernor's staff might have had a personal grudge against the Balkoth, and knowing the Heortling aversion to goats, may have singled them out for this punishment. The goat edict stems from Euglyptus' gouvernorship, right?