Re: Lunar Occupation of Sartar

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 11:38:04 -0000

Jeff:
> YGWV, but I doubt the Lunars have anything even resembling the
> Inquisition. Orlanth worship is not heresy that needs to be
> investigated - it is rebellion against political authority...

It's reading stuff like this that makes me wonder why I bother with internet discussion groups at times. Sorry, Jeff, but really. If I had wanted to indicate the 'Inquisition' as a proper noun, or made reference to the general institution of the Church, I would have indicated so; or I would made reference to the Spanish office of the Inquisition, or the Holy Office, or what have you.

An inquisition is "an action or process inquiring deeply into a matter in order to discover the facts"; or indeed a "judicial inquiry, an inquest" (SOED). I'm not responsible for everyone's vocabulary.

Irrespective of whatever you might put before me, I have seen many references to the worship of Orlantha outlawed as the major enemy (and indeed paradox, but that's a different matter) of the Lunar Way. Some will hold to his practices openly in rebellion, others secretly. It is that secret vice that festers in the already- 'pacified' tribes that independent Stormfinders act against, as I clearly stated. Will this involve inquiry and judicial process? Er, yeah, perhaps.

If you don't like it, fine; but if someone is trying to state that it's not even a possibility or hit me with the YGWV stick, then I'm frankly incredulous.

> Remember...

Please don't ask me to 'Remember' anything. And they're called '-- FINDERS' for a reason. I thought I'd be castigated for using an historical analogue, but never the Inquisition(s).

Cheerio,

Stu.