Re: Digest Number 276

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 13:49:31 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001 jsjohnso_at_... wrote:

> > If you want Issaries to succeed, buy all their products.
>
> This is just terrible advice.

Each to their own, I guess. It sounds quite sensible to me. I want Glorantha to thrive, and I want Greg and co. to be producing books for years to come.

Books need money, and the RPG industry is not the worlds most stable and reliable venture.

> No one should be expected to buy a product they aren't interested in, and
> coercing them to do so is counterproductive. Its only likely to breed
> resentment, and prevents the manufacturer from getting feedback on their
> efforts.

But one real flop could shut down Issaries INC forever, and then there will never be the book(s) you wanted most of all.

There are many other ways of providing feedback. Producing Glorantha is art, and I for one will keep supporting my co-artists (it's my art too, just not commercially).

> The most telling sort of feedback for a book is how many copies it sells.
> If the books can't stand on their own, they shouldn't be produced.

*sigh* I could say something about the world trying to see everything as a capitalist venture, but I think I'd be wasting my breath. (and offend some people). I'll just say I don't think the above applies to a small RPG publishing company, not if you really care for it's _line_ of products)

> IMO this sort of pressure is an abuse of fans, and shouldn't be tolerated.
>
> ---
> Jeff Johnson

By all means don't feel pressured. I'll keep bying the books, since I'm sure every one has _something_ I can use, or that ispires something for my games.

        -Adept