RE: HeroQuest and Glorantha gift recommendations?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 00:50:17 -0000

 > I already have the core HeroQuest books, Orlanthi books (Thunder
> Rebels, Storm Tribe, Dragon Pass), the Imperial Lunar Handbook volume
> 1, and the King of Dragon Pass computer game.

Good start!

> Are there other in-print books folks would recommend?

Probably not in-print, but available (Ebay etc): King of Sartar.

If you can manage to find a copy of Barbarian Adventures, then grab it! The rest of the Sartar Rising sequence will depend on whether you can use that sort of scenario, but the background in BA is almost essential to running Orlanthi, especially in Sartar.

How about Anaxial's Roster aka the Monster Manual? I'm told the numbers are a bit dodgy, but the descriptions aren't.

You might want to consider the Book of Uz - whereever you go, you'll meet trolls!

Take a look here:
http://www.tradetalk.de/english/

And consider what directions you might go in. Much stuff there on Pavis, for instance. And Tarsh. Pent. And some gorgeous maps!

Ybot 4 has some good HW (not HQ) scenarios set in Sartar and the Grazelands.

The Widow's Tale is excellent Gloranthan fiction, set in Sartar with the last remaining supply route to Whitewall as background, though it does show its RQ roots in places.

> Also, I happened to run across the Profantasy RPG mapping software
> (www.profantasy.com). Can anyone recommend that or other software that
> might help out a narrator?

I've been told Campaign Cartographer is good, but have never used either myself.