Re: Fan Support vs. Blackmail

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 11:37:35 -0500

Michael Schwartz wrote:
> upon. If you want material covering Culture X or Region Y, start
> writing
> it yourself and submit it for consideration. Game books like ANAXIAL'S
>
> ROSTER and THUNDER REBELS don't write themselves, and *all* game
> companies use freelancers extensively. It is rare that a company has
> enough creative energy in-house to do, in its folly, all it set out to

We use them more than most. And I'd say as a freelancer who's worked for other commpanies (who shall remain nameless) I have NEVER been treated as well as I am by Issaries. NEVER.

> do. In brief: contribute, or quit whining. 'Nuff said.

Agreed!

> Apologies for the terse tone...

No worries.

I've always valued deeds over words. Though in this case, its a deed of words. Folks that take time out from busy lives to write and contribute in a positive fashion are to be commended. Sadly, we're a niche market and even now I run into old Grognards who have not heard about the game being out...

...so prosteltize. My experiences working as a demo-coordinator for AEG, SJG and White Wolf over the last seven years have left me with the impression that folks oneline regard themselves as the entirity of that game's community (a sin of which I am very guilty). We're not. We're "merely" the most informed and (possibly) the most active.

I think that its a good idea to mention the game to all those folks you know who played in Glorantha who are NOT members of lists, digests, bbs's and so forth. Heck, write positive reviews or show the game to your friends.

Mike's suggestions are good. Run demos at cons -- that's what I've been doing. Heck, I met Mr. Laws that way. Robin's nifty.

Publish or Perish, indeed!

Jeff