Re: Sleepytime Ernalda

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 19:40:23 -0000

> No, it isn't OK, not unless you have players who do exactly what
they're
> told and follow the arrows in the sky labelled "plot this way".
(And if you
> have such players, you have my sympathy.)

Lots of classic scenarios don't tell you precisely what is going on -  best example offhand is the Cradle Scenario where lots of things are happening that are not explained (like why the Cradle is floating down the river in the first place after so many centuries). It is perfectly ok for the GM to be in the dark at times - sometimes even preferable.

> Orlanth and Ernalda can't be
> contacted? Better fix that, then. What HQ shall we do? Anyone know
a good
> myth? Hmm, nothing obvious - OK, our PCs had better "remember" one
then (ie.
> the players and GM jointly write one). And off we go - and if the
GM doesn't
> know exactly what's really happened, mythically, they're sunk.

Here's an easier answer - it fails. Until Iceland, the traditional Orlanthi myths, heroquests, and everything else just doesn't work. Unless you are playing Kallyr and her ring.

> > Are you saying Demeter was a useless parasite?
> Not while up top doing stuff, no. But responding to the loss of a
loved one
> by burying her head in the sand and ignoring all her own
responsibilities -
> not impressed. Not at all.

I don't think Demeter needs to impress us.:) However, given that the mysteries of Demeter were perhaps the most significant cultic mysteries in the Greek world, maybe she is more impressive than you think. Or perhaps Jesus Christ an unimpressive figure because he went passively to the Cross?

> > There are underlying mythical truths or archetypes in Glorantha
(and
> > for that matter the RW). Don't assume that everything has
already
> > been heroquested beyond all recognition - Orlanth is not a God
> > Learner construct, Harmast did not invented the LBQ, Arkat did
not
> > create Humakt and so on. Sure, there have been some
heroquesting
> > constructs, but no where near as many as some folk seem to think.
> But while those people didn't invent the underlying myth, they did
change
> it. Not sure about Orlanth being a GL construct, that's a new one
on me. But
> Harmast did produce new ways of doing the LBQ, Arkat did change
the cult of
> Humakt.

Not as much as many people seem to think. Arkat might not have changed the cult of Humakt at all - Makla Mann seems to have been a more significant definer of Humakt. Harmast did not produce new ways of doing the LBQ - he showed people that mortals could do it.

> > The God Learners never understood Orlanthi mythology (heck,
> > they thought the Orlanthi didn't have a sun god, were completely
> > unaware of the Allfather aspect of Orlanth, and didn't
understand
> > the role of Heort at all),
> Well, they'd only read the RQ2 material, not the HW books :)

That's exactly right.

Jeff