Re: Sleepytime Ernalda

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 20:11:05 -0000

> > Lots of classic scenarios don't tell you precisely what is going
on -
> > best example offhand is the Cradle Scenario where lots of
things
> > are happening that are not explained
> Yes - that's why it's such hassle to run unless you have those
> imagination-free players we mentioned.

Now that's just silly. I love the Cradle Scenario - I don't need to have an answer to my players questions, I just want them to ask questions and come up with their own theories. Even if they are wrong. Some times especially if they are wrong.

> How can it possibly be *preferable* for the GM to be denied the
information
> they need to respond to the players actions? Unavoidable at times,
yes, but
> preferable???

I have found that sometimes keeping things deliberately vague as to what the underlying issue is actually results in the players developing more interesting theories than my own. I've had entire plot arcs where certain key issues where a mystery from even myself -  and they worked brilliantly. Did Snorri really steal Orlkar's Bull or did it just wander away?

> Probably, yes. But in what way does it fail? That's most of the
game, after
> all - interesting ways in which the PCs fail, and what they do
about the
> consequences.

That can certainly be worked out in play. The key issue is that the heroquests, rites and ceremonies fail.

> > Until Iceland, the traditional
> > Orlanthi myths, heroquests, and everything else just doesn't
work.
> "just doesn't work" is not a useful description.

Expand on it then. However, I don't think it is necessary for the scenario to say more than they can't be contacted.

> > Unless you are playing Kallyr and her ring.
> That's roughly the level I'd be bringing the players in at, yes.
Probably
> not cooperating with her, since too many of the group can't stand
her, but
> at that sort of level. The PCs themselves aren't quite that high-
statted,
> but NPCs they influence are.

OK, then you are already operating in YGWV territory - which is just fine, but it does mean that things will happen in your game differently from the canonical story. But that is just fine.

> > However, given that
> > the mysteries of Demeter were perhaps the most significant
cultic
> > mysteries in the Greek world, maybe she is more impressive than
you
> > think.
> Presumably there's more to her story than the simple version we
get taught
> at school.

Check up on the Eleusian mysteries. Demeter and Persephone deal with the rebirth of the world - a far more impressive feat than merely killing some giants or trolls.

> > Not as much as many people seem to think. Arkat might not have
> > changed the cult of Humakt at all - Makla Mann seems to have
been a
> > more significant definer of Humakt.
> And he was a follower of Arkat.

And? The point is that Arkat did not appear to significantly change the cult of Humakt - or indeed of any of the cults that he joined.

> > Harmast did not produce new
> > ways of doing the LBQ - he showed people that mortals could do
it.
> Didn't he find easier alternatives to some of the stations?

He showed us that mortals could do the LBQ. Things didn't work out exactly as they did for Orlanth, but he showed it could be done.

> > > Well, they'd only read the RQ2 material, not the HW books :)
> > That's exactly right.
> In your Glorantha, too?

Yep. The God Learners bought the old RQ material. And got very angry upon learning about Elmal from their undersea prisons.

Jeff