Re: Re: The Missionaries

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 10:34:23 -0800

> > There are still "magic incantations" in use today - "Red sky in morning,
> > Sailor take warning", or "Always cross on a new green light" (I
> don't know
> > if that was part of kindergarten in Britain, but it was drummed into
> us here
> > in the states).
>
> Well, it's a shepherd, not a sailor, where I come from, and the other
> one is, I assume, some sort of variant of the Green Cross Code. So,
> yes, we have similar incantations, if not the exact same ones.

It's for making sure you cross the road when it's safe - I think you have the same traffic light patterns as we do - Green is "Go", Yellow is "Cross with Caution, but okay", and Red is "stop, Stop, STOP you idiot!" Waiting for the new green light doesn't always help - my brother was hit by a late-crosser when he was about 5, and all he could say was "But I waited for the new green light!"

RR
- Richelieu