Re: Re: The Missionaries

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:07:42 -0800

> And as far as I know both of those illustrate the principle of chants,
> rhythmic and rhyming, being used to aid memorisation. Very useful for
> non-literate societies and the under-fours. They're not magic. Now
pressing
> that white button on the wall so as to summon powers I don't understand so
> as to light up the room - that's magic! (OK, yes, I do understand it now,
> but I didn't for the first few years of doing it.)

Ah, but are the Elmal Verses "magic" or "mere memorization"? They could easily be both - While the Hagalorings were "young" the verses are real magic - a "Find ripe fruit" type of thing. As the tribe "matures" it is no longer needed for an active ability - it can become an augment-only "memorization aid".

RR
- Richelieu