Re: Re: The Missionaries

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 11:26:53 +1300

At 01:59 PM 12/30/2005 -0800, you wrote:

>But did you know that your ancestors (assuming they lived in the
>British Isles) didn't think to look in the ocean for fish? Oceanic
>fishing was ignored for a large period of habitation (based on
>analyzing middens). [I'm afraid I took that anthropology class
>something like 18 years ago so I can't provide the specifics quickly.]

I suspect there was no oceanic fishing because the cost involved (needing a seaworthy boat) rather than ignorance.

>Remember that the events in this story took place after the Great
>Darkness. People had lost almost everything. And now the entire world
>is open to them again.

And the people survived in the Great Darkness because of hunting/ gathering/scavenging lifestyle. Which makes the inability to recognize edible material come the dawn rather odd.

>And don't forget that a lot of stuff people now eat is poisonous.
>Look at manioc -- you need to process it by blanching it. Twice.

Except that the magic isn't render edible fruit safe but find fruit.

--Peter Metcalfe