Re: Heroes vs Otherworld Beings in Terms of HQs

From: nichughes2001 <nicolas.h_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:56:08 -0000

> For theists, is it one of Harmast's early heroquests that are being
emulated
> - a hero cult? Or is it an adventure of Destor, a "god cult?"

I would usually narrate this as re-enacting the actions of Destor accoding to the rituals and myths discovered by Harmast and handed down to us.

There are exceptions, Arkat being one of the best known. In experimental heroquesting you are not re-enacting any existing myths you are playing an extremely dangerous game of pick-and-mix with the mythic elements.

> As I've speculated before, I think such quests are probably part and
parcel
> of eventually becoming a worshipped hero and the attendant
"apotheosis" that
> occurs for those that lived in the mundane world once. That is, it's
> probably rare for a heroquest to be emulated by another unless it's
passed
> down as part of such a cult.

Some step or section will be the part that "Harmast showed us the way" and any feat associated with this part of the myth is associated with Harmast. Game mechanically this feat comes directly from Harmast as would any corresponding heroquest but I'm not sure that this is how characters would see it in-game, perhaps it varies by pantheon anyway.

--
Nic