Re: Fan Support vs. Blackmail

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 09:19:06 -0500

Jeff Johnson wrote:
> > I need make only one point clear: fan support of game companies...
> I'm
> > talking about the "gotta have everything" mentality... is what
> separates
> > the Wizards of the Coasts from the Avalon Hills.
>
> Bullshit. Wizards is a success because they produced a product that
> appeals
> to lots of people, especially casual buyers.

I think he was referring to the Mr.Suitcase Magic Mentality.

> That is, Wizards explicitly _doesn't_ expect its fans to buy anything
> and
> everything they produce.

But they expect to sell a certain 'hundreds of thousands' -- when a game does NOT sell, they trash it.

Legend of the Five Rings was sold last week, and its the #3 CCG out there. They sold the Doomtown CCG because it wasn't working out. They sold Ars Magica to Atlas because it didn't cover its own overhead. Rage was dropped. VTOS was sold back to White Wolf...

...they will drop something like a live grenade and do something else if it is not profitable.

Issaries doesn't have that luxury. Just pointing this out.

Me? I used to work for Wizards on the side so I know a wee bit about how they function.

Jeff