Re: Heroquesting

From: Mark Galeotti <mark_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:05:30 -0000

If the player is leaving, anyway, here's an alternative option. Set him up thinking he has found a way of bringing Mykka back so that they can live happily ever after in some rose-covered cottage on the fells...

>>>Until the Black Leopard Mandate catches up with the Orlanthi
renegades, my less Inclusive Lunar side mutters, but we'll put that aspect of me to bed with some cocoa and get back to the fairytale romance<<<

...but then at some point in the ritual it all begins to go wrong, and it becomes clear that the only way of getting Mykka back will be to do nasty things, like killing a girl to provide a body. Obviously, this is Not On, and the ritual is in mid-flow and, as the heroes dither, the unresolved mythic tensions of LBG Interruptus mean that enemies and challenges are arising (ie, opportunity for other heroes to strut their stuff outriddling Nysalorians, fighting off chaotic armadillions and rhinocerats or whatever).

Eventually, the choice is to cut the connection and let Mykka's soul finally be released into the afterlife... or for the player-hero to join her, essentially departing his own body and bonding with her as an otherwordly being, linked by their love. Cue a bizarre marriage ceremony in mid-ritual, a swelling orchestral motif and the heroband now has a couple as a wyter instead of an individual. The player can then head off to Boston knowing that his hero is still part of the heroband, just in more translucent form.

All the best

Mark