Re: Re: Herdmen

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 23:24:36 -0600

Chris Lemens wrote:
> > Herdmen, herded by the morocanth. Yes, I'd forgotten
> > them. Not that herdmen are all that human-looking.
> > Hairy, shuffling big apes.
>
> Guy Hoyle can tell you all about playing a herd man.
> He played an awakened herd man (Fido Two-Clubs) for
> years in Sandy's now-complete Trond campaign. His
> quest was to rescue his mate (Anamala) from the
> cookpot and subsequently awaken her. One day, we met
> the gift bird and he got her. I can't remember how he
> awakened her. She was pregnant at the end of the
> campaign. We were kind of thinking of bringing in a
> bunch of unawakened herd men to be hosts for the angry
> ancestors who had been wiped out by the nuclear
> sorcerers.

Funny, I can't remember how we awakened her, either. Must have been magic!

My picture of herdmen was pretty much the kind of guys you'd find in Planet of the Apes. Fido had been raised as a kind of house-pet amongst the Morokanth, so he awoke with some rudimentary Praxian and a few other skills. He had been trained as a pit-fighter, fighting against wild animals, other herdmen, and the occasional human, for sport. He was rather intelligent for a herdman, too (INT 15, which changed over the course of the campaign). When I remembered to talk in character, I used Tonto, Tarzan, and the Frankenstein Monster as my role models. He like things which smelled bad to other people; he spent a lot of time in the ship's bilge, and developed an obsession with durrians. He eventually named his daughter Durriana.

Guy