Re: All the Worlds...Which is Which???

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 00:02:51 -0000

I'd think that the community support is built into a god's rating (just as it's built into a wyter's ratings). If most people stopped worshipping Uralda, we'd find her name listed under "petty gods" instead of "gods", and her ratings would be lower.

> Equipment bonuses? Think that sword of his might add a
> few?

Again, I think the line between "Humakt" and "Humakt's sword" is pretty blurry. Humakt *is* death. His sword is death. I don't think he can augment with the sword. But...

> Pick your game's preferred number of augments - say
> three abilities from a Warrior keyword, "brave,
> tough", and so on. All at W10 again, so you add an
> extra mastery for each of those.
>
> Three affinities - ditto.

Yeah, I think this is where he goes to town. If you're tough enough to threaten him, he can augment with "brave". (And if you aren't that tough, he doesn't need to.) He's definitely going to drag out the "death" affinity, and most likely he'll find a way to drag "truth" into it, too.

And while I wouldn't give him his community support augments (I think that's wrapped up in his base scores), he *can* get support from his personal retainers. All those Humakt hero-cults you run across? Those heroes are drinking with Humakt *right now*. You fight with him, you fight with all of them--that's a big augment.

And if he's really in trouble, he can call on other gods for help. As Heortlings understand it, Humakt is Orlanth's thane. If Humakt needs the help, he can call on his lord to provide it, and Orlanth will have to answer.

Not saying it can't be done, just that it's tough. I have a private theory that Yanafal Tarnils managed to take the scimitar away from Humakt by fighting him on the God's Plane--that's why (as far as Heortlings can tell) Humakt doesn't consider the scimitar to be a sword. In essence, Yanafal grabbed a little piece of Humakt for himself.

> We're looking at 20 masteries or so without even
> trying. Don't go there.

Yeah, we're definitely in "don't try this at home" territory.

To look at it another way--Harrek made himself the terror of the lozenge by beating and skinning the White Bear Spirit. I'm willing to assume the White Bear is pretty darned tough, in his way, but he's no Humakt, is he? So if you want to take on Humakt, why don't you warm up by beating up Harrek. That shouldn't be so hard, should it, god-killer?