Re: Thunder Rebels

From: Charles Corrigan <glorantha_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:19:26 -0000

> I won't pass on my wife's comments - she was less than polite about
> the lack of female characters. Storm Tribe should make up for it,
> though.

There is an inherent conflict between making a believable well thought out coherent context, such as Thunder Rebels attempts for the Sartarites (and, in my opinion anyway, succeeds), and integrating our modern-day desires/requirements for an egalitarian society (*).

Issaries took the decision to detail 85% of Sartarite culture in Thunder Rebels and publish a similar sized book detailing the other 15% just two months later (subject to the inevitable slippage). Do we expect (writing/publishing/logistical/financial) miracles? Are we suggesting that given this "rampant sex discrimination", it would be better that they had never published Thunder Rebels?

Heortlings appear to be the second most egalitarian society in Glorantha in theory (after the Lunars) and in practice, I suspect, are the most egalitarian society. The Vinga keyword is available in the first book and, if I understand the intent, has access to all of the sub-cults of Orlanth Adventurous/Warrior, plus probably a few of her own that are inaccessible to the menfolk.

One of the things that Glorantha/Hero Wars encourages is breaking out of the cultural restrictions to solve a bigger problem. Make it up! Look at the two Irish Meave's (Medbh of the Cuchulainn cycle and Meave the pirate during Elizabeth I's reign). Look at the English Bodecia (sp?). For that matter, look at Elizabeth I, Mary Queen of Scots and Victoria for examples of well respected female leadership in male dominated societies (and Elizabeth II and Margaret Thatcher in less male dominated societies). They all broke the cultural mould. Apologies for using only Celtic and British examples - they are the ones that instantly spring to my Celtic/British mind.

regards,
Charles