Re: Re: Thunder Rebels

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:31:34 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Charles Corrigan wrote:

> > I won't pass on my wife's comments - she was less than polite about
> > the lack of female characters. Storm Tribe should make up for it,
> > though.
>
> There is an inherent conflict between making a believable well
> thought out coherent context, such as Thunder Rebels attempts for the
> Sartarites (and, in my opinion anyway, succeeds), and integrating our
> modern-day desires/requirements for an egalitarian society (*).

Fortunatly, this is not relevant. The point is that Thunder Rebels gives female characters the heady choice of housewife, medic, or prostitute. None of which are fun characters to play. No one (certainly not me or my wife) is suggesting that the Orlanthi have to be fully PC, 20th century peoples, but we DO want fun female characters.

> Issaries took the decision to detail 85% of Sartarite culture in
> Thunder Rebels and publish a similar sized book detailing the other
> 15% just two months later (subject to the inevitable slippage). Do
> we expect (writing/publishing/logistical/financial) miracles? Are we
> suggesting that given this "rampant sex discrimination", it would be
> better that they had never published Thunder Rebels?

Not my term. I also suggested the problem could have largely been sorted by including Vinga in the Orlanth write up. Anyway, as I said, Storm Tribe should sort the problems.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stableyard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net