Re: Loskalmi Dissertation

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 22:55:26 -0000

> It brought to mind an idealized form of Byzantine
> government where the land was all owned by 'the
> Empire' and parceled out to various exarchs who ruled
> each province according to the will of the Emperor.
> No idea like private property. Just everyone doing
> what they're supposed to.
> Boring, but vaguely pleasant.

Tony - you've identified my main complaint about most interpretations of Loskalm - they are too "real world". Loskalm is - or at least was under the Ban - a true, non-dystopian utopia. It was removed from all external conflict, and in doing so, eliminated internal conflict. Its inhabitants transcended the lies of material world and the order of the just ruled the land. It is Plato's Republic, More's Utopia or Andreae's Christianopolis realized - not merely a modified real world society.

Jeff