Re: Digest Number 2438

From: glorantha_at_...
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 12:50:32 +0200

Hi,

don't write often on the digest but i'd like to give my point of view as a professional editorial manager in the books business.

jclebreu wrote:
> How to motivate new players ? Not the ones, like me, who were playing
> in glorantha for 20 years and can wait because we are real fans, but
> the new ones who see a universe with no new materials and in another
> hand, others games and others universe wich are very well supported ?
>
> So yes, everybody is doing the best and ILH2 and others books will be
> out int the shortest time but the waiting is great to have a "huge"
> support :)

I agree completel! Just look at the agressive marketing from companies like mongoose, Fantasy Flight... They start lines with a release frequency almost monthly (look Conan RPG).

RPG companies also got the chance to sell pdf online, reducing the main cost in book production : the printing and bounding.

Glorantha geniuses and writers are numerous and talented. I think that we could rivalize with white wolf and stuff for mass of information released, but to maintain confidence for new gamers, it has to come out on a regular basis. I started playing RQ in 1979 and since then, in all commercial announcements by the chaosium, Avalon Hill (OUch it hurts :-[ ) and issaries, the same defaults made the same effects : myrific teasers about never released packs or books, giving the gloranthan enthousiast a feeling of suspicion and fatality as to the "future of glorantha" in the RPG business.

I personnally think that with a solid ground beneath our feets (like MD) and modern and cheaper means of production and distribution, it could finally happen! Let's hope it will.

Fred