RE: Re: Thunder Rebels (and sexism)

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:36:51 -0600

Gareth Martin says to

someone (sorry):
>> TR is trying to portray mainstream Orlanthi society. IMHO that is
>> something we always needed. TR is about a culture, both its heroic
>> and its non-heroic aspects. As a *Dark Ages* culture, lacking
>> technology or birth-control, women and men will tend to be pushed
>> into certain roles by biology. Do not confuse the existence of gender
>
>Well thats such a hoary old falsehood I think you have well expressed the
>concerns being raised. Why on earth to we continue to propagate this
>mythology in the modern day and age?

        Well, I think this is a valid part of the Hero Wars. Whether you like them or not, the Lunars are probably the most egalitarian creed in Glorantha, the ones who have gods who are not explicitly tied to biology, who say that anyone can be/do anything. Of course, Lunar society may not live up to this promise, but it is there. The Orlanthi, for all their "no one can make you do anything" and "there is always another way" are deeply constrained by their worldview that makes many choices not choices at all but "natural" and "that's how it is." The true mystic (with a small "m") Orlanthi anarchists are considerably fewer than an "Orlanthi few." This could easily be a thread in a game -- how does a Heortling woman who wants to be a warrior feel when her Lunar enemies give her more respect than her clanmates? When Kallyr gets pushed aside (well, OK, dies) for Argrath? If this theme bugs you, make it a THEME.

Peter Larsen