An example of interferring with someone else's rituals

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 01:01:55 -0000

I thought I'd post an example of player characters interferring with their enemy's rituals. The example in question involves the kingship rituals performed by the Colymar - in this case, by King Kangarl "Blackmor". The players are a group of Colymar supporting the claims of the exiled Queen Leika.

"After much discussion, we decided to try to interfere with Kangharl's annual rites of kingship. Although it was a long shot, we figured Queen Leika's kingship magic had the best chance of success. Queen Leika, Dorasa and Korlmhy provided a horse for sacrifice. Korlmhy led the crossover. Brenna pointed out that Bad King Urgrain had also used false regalia. Kangharl tried to send red-tailed hawks after us, but Dorasa chased them off. Leika challenged him to produce the Black Spear.

Kangharl replied by summoning up a cold black wind, but Korlmhy turned it aside and Herger loyally protected Queen Leika. Kangharl then called upon his foreign guardians, which wore red and black masks and they drove us off."

The result - a marginal defeat of the players, who are now certain that Blackmor is being backed by Lunar magic. Sometimes even a defeat can be useful.

Jeff