RE: Re: Thunder Rebels

From: Gareth Martin <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:18:58 -0000

> the original Glorantha so refreshing). And I still have a niggling
> doubt that this proliferation of subcults sounds vaguely like the
> idea of livening up a game by introducing a new colour of dragon.

Urrr... I know what you mean. But working on the LOT5R conversion (for which I hope to have some text to post this week) has given me a lightly duifferent perspective. The keyword groupings are really quite broad, and I have already had to tacitly add in my head the rule that any cultural keyword can be dropped at will. This arose from the fact that, say, not every Dara Happan will have Know Place In Society. Almost all will, but iconoclasts should have the freedom NOt to take that trait.

Anyway, that was a bit of a diversion. I guess that what I am getting at is that in order to represent a culture to any degree of depth, we also have to address the exceptions, special cases and oddities. I think the subcults serve this funciton admirably, giving the opportunity to define the oddities as more than merely unique, but a distinct subset. I would worry of wee got to the point of having massive lists of subcults and their special abilities, but I have already had a to develop something of a list just to model the LOT5R ancestors.