Neutral term for soul

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 14:12:25 -0700

> From: "Tim Ellis" tim_at_...

discusses

I said
>> > ATMAN is that word.

> Hmm, It's so entirely alien to me that it conveys no meaning at all..

It is exactly the word for what everyone is seeking the definition about. It is from Hinduism/Buddhism, and is the immortal, unchangable part of a soul.

> In Greg's mail he mentions the dropped concept of an "etheric double"
> and it strikes me that "Etheric Double" or "Etheric Part" might be
> more readily recognisable without being confused for a specific
> otherworld part

Perhaps for the uninitiated, but both those terms have precise meanings among people conversant with this subject of spirituality, parts of the soul, nad so on.
AND it is exactly the WRONG definition (being the "most disposable" part of a person's spiritual matter.)

> (hang on - what's wrong with "otherworld part" or
> "otherworld portion"?)

It could be misinterpreted in these kinds of discussions, because as I have pointe dout before, os Gloranthan have several different parts of their "otherworld substances."

Again I want to stress the difficulty of this discussion of trying to discuss a non-game thing, simply because the game terms have been re-defined for the game, and altered the vocabulary.

points out the real problem with this is

> About the only problems are I'll probably forget it
> and some of those reading may not understand it without the
> definition at the time.

Agreed.
But if you are going to have a discussion about a non-game subject you really ought to use the proper vocabulary.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford