Re: Re: Thunder Rebels

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:12:51 -0800

> > > Prostitute? Really?
> > >

> > Hmmm. I seem to be the only one who has come across 'low entertainer'
> > as
> > euphemism for 'prostitute'.
> >
> > Perhaps I am reading more into some of this than I should be...
>
> I've heard it in an Elizabethan ontext, but not necessarily in an
> Orlanthi one. Since I haven't got my copy yet, what does Low
> Entertainer actually mean in an Orlanthi situation?

While I won't command that your low entertainers *not* be prostitutes, I will say that they were modeled on Vaudeville, Street performers and Clowns of my acquaintance much more than prostitutes. In other words, if they are sleeping around, it's not for money. Loose Morals? not any more than the rest of society, with its seven forms of marriage including "bed-husband" and "love-wife". Check out the marriage section of KoS (242) where "...sexuality is relatively open and unmarried sex not frowned upon..."

Low entertainers in the clan areas will be upright citizens. Those in the cities (where clan relationships often break down and coins are required for living) might sell their bodies, but it was *not* intended to be a "prostitute" keyword. Look at the list of activities they do - not a hootchy-kootch dancer in the lot...

Also check out KoS 242 on "Gender":
"Men and women are appreciated for their differences. Gender differences which are biological in origin, including issues of reproduction and sexuality, are accepted and enjoyed. No judgment is borne with the acknowledgment of gender differences; neither is better. Competition between sexes is expected, and channeled through social processes. These accepted methods include: in sacred ceremony; in social conventions; and through jest and humor.
But accepting biological norms does not restrain the Orlanthi to impose them as absolute standards on all members. Daily occupations and lifestyles are not gender-determined*. Thus among the Orlanthi most political and many sacral positions are not limited to one sex or the other. Warrior women and cloth-weaving men are both found and accepted. Nonetheless, 85% of the people follow mainstream gender lifestyles."

(Yes, KoS is still needed to understand Orlanthi culture. Including all that useful info would *really* have blown our page count).

*In TR we *do* "gender-restrict" the occupations, because TR represents the 85% who "follow mainstream gender lifestyles". Storm tribe had the unofficial working title of "the 15 Percenters" - Vingan and Nandan were pushed out to ST because they are not part of the mainstream, they are part of the 15%. HOWEVER your heroes are expected to be extraordinary people who don't necessarily follow the mainstream.

RR