Mairnali Har and the White Goddess.

From: Santo Sengupta <s.santo.sengupta_at_...>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 12:41:43 -0400

Namaste All:

Apologies in advance if this post smacks of God-Learnerism, but I'm quite excited about the 2nd Age RQ.

I have a question about the identity of the various healing goddesses of Glorantha. In my Teshnos campaign, one of my heroes is an Initiate of Mairnali Har. If, say, a Lunar missionary arrived with knowledge of Erissa, the White Goddess, would he consider Mother Mairnali to be the same goddess? It seems to me that many Divine entities have different names in different cultures - Erissa is known as Chalana Arroy amongst the Orlanthi, for example.

I know that Mairnali Har also has stronger mystical component to her teachings in Teshnos, while Erissa/Chalana seem to be strict theistic goddesses, albiet relying more on Personal Devotion and Bloodless Sacrifice (Fruits, Flowers, Sweets, cf "Storm Tribe", pg 34). On a tangential note, it seems to me that this form of worship would be called "Mairnalin Sacrifice", and perhaps was popularized during the 2nd Age by the Seer Serd Manard and the Golden Empire of Mokato.

According to "Arcane Lore", Mairnalin also practice "Pamaltelan style spirit integration", whatever that means.

Is the Kralorelean Goddess, Seralaloon (sp?) also another name for Chalana Arroy?

--
-Santo
"Aum Shanti Shanti Shantih."