Sex and RPG

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:19:37 -0500

IMO am important aspect of how Thunder Rebels describes male/female roles is how it comes over to female players new to the world. Doesn't matter what is accurate or believeable about myth or history, what I'm concerned with is the effect on members of our society who we want to join our community of gamers.

Pick up the book, look at the contents page - there are two entries for 'I'm New Here'. Go to page 5 which has the heading 'Where Do I Start?'. It tells you to read pages 11 to 18, then turn to page 153 and create a character. It says 'the default character is either a male warrior or a female combat medic'.

Read pages 11-18 and they're all written from the Orlanthi POV in a slightly hard-to-read typeface. Then go to page 153 and the first decision you have to make is again 'Decide whether to be a male warrior or a female field medic'.

The first impression this book gives is that the only female characters you can play are in a subordinate role.

I know that in fact the book give lots of material for female characters in leading roles, and that other books give the details needed for female warriors - but a woman gamer who picks up this book as her first encounter with HW and Glorantha is going to be given a very different first impression.

Andrew