Re: Re: Hardcover Godlearnerbook on Ebay

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:29:44 +1200

David Dunham:

> >So why wasn't this marketed as a work in progress instead
> >of a cash-grab?

>In what way would a work in progress not raise cash? This way the
>convention gets some of the proceeds.

They could easily get some of the proceeds if more books were published and made available.

> > >Perhaps because Greg and Jeff (authors) and Claudia (maps and design)
> >>wanted to give something to their friends at Tentacles?

> >While the rest of us suffer in darkness.

>Since the auction states "Please note, however, that the text
>contents will appear elsewhere" I have to conclude that you are
>afflicted with terminal anticipation.

No, I'm just afflicted with bitter experience.

>IIRC, some of the works in progress were available only to
>convention-goers. Others had to wait.

Such as? All the works in progress are available to anybody who wants to buy one. Here it's explicitly stated that this won't be re-printed ever again. A big difference.

> >So why couldn't this have been marketed as a fan publication?

>Who's to say it won't be?

The Ebay auction page for starters.

>Or won't appear in a Mongoose 2nd age publication?

So Mongoose is going to publish God Learner estoretica rather than gameable material? Pardon me for remaining skeptical.

> >I have and it comes up wanting when there's clear
> >evidence of a policy of elitist self-adulation.

>Evidently your standards of evidence are a lot looser than mine.

What evidence do you base that on? Shall I recount the number of broken statements and promises that have been made over the past decade? Would it hurt your standing in the closed clique of Owners of "Our Great Empire" to even admit that I have a point? Or is to dismiss my concerns as "terminal anticipation" worthy only of unwashed rabble the only charitable comment that you are prepared to make?

--Peter Metcalfe