Re: Elitists

From: Osentalka <Osentalka_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 21:08:31 +0200

Dear Graham

> Ye Gods! When did suggesting that everyone should be given an equal chance
> to own something nice become such a crime?

It�s no crime, but there will always be "limited edition", "special convention printruns" and so on.
I don�t think that this is a crime either.

I think that it is a VERY GOOD idea to make good stuff available to anybody who likes to have it.
I myself for instance liked the idea of the sourcebook for Handra. I could just have asked Marc Willner for a copy of his manuscript for my personal collection, and boast with another rare manuscript, and that i am one of the "elite" that has access to this stuff, but instead i contated Marc Willner, the old author, got the manuscript from him, contacted Greg, and got his approval to go on with a revision and publication of the old manuscript as a fan publication in Tradetalk. I contacted Peter Metcalfe, who rewrote the out of date RQ Handra into the wonderful stuff you may have read in Tradetalk # 11, and published it.

The second project i can think of at the moment is Penny Love�s "The Widow�s Tale"... almost the same story. And, by the way, that one i financed by myself, not the Chaos Society, because I MYSELF wanted to see this in print, ready to read for any gloranthan fan.

I belive that anybody interested in a book (its content) should get his change to buy it as a regular publication (or maybe split uo between more publications), when the author thinks it is worth it. Anybody that wants THIS specific rare, beautiful layoutet piece of art has to pay the price for it.
And, by the way, Greg hasn�t made a price for it, the fans have, by bidding on them (at TENTACLES auction or at eBay).

> I have no desire to be part of any community where my ideals are reason
for
> the community leaders to issue personal attacks, and have therefore
> resigned from the list.

I am sorry if anythink i wrote was in your eyes a personal attack. I don�t wanted to hurt anybodys feelings.

My point is:

I am with you that INTERESTING, ACCURATE, IMPORTANT Informations about Glorantha, may it be relevant for gaming or only out of curiosity, should be available to as much gamers, readers, future authors, as possible... if they pay the price for it (aka regular price for a HQ, RQ or Unfinished Work book).

But i am also with Greg, Rick and the convention organizers, that having limited print run fund raising books at conventions are a good thing (be it ony two copies for an auction, or a limited preview print run of 50 only available at that specific convention).

I myself would prefer if this stuff gets into regular print too. But these booklets have to stay something special... may it be layout, a little bit more content (Designer Notes?), or being in colour instead of standart b&w.

Sorry for the readers of the list, but i HAVE TO make my point also there.

I will stop writing about this subject (on the lists). Again: Sorry.

Cheers

Andr�