Esrolian Darkness Survival

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 05:43:46 -0700

YGWV Here is how the Esrolians survived the Darkness.

In the Darkness many of the Grandmothers had been killed, destroyed or disappeared, but some were only been sleeping. Awakening them saved Esrolian society.
This process was begun by Urvarna and Demarath, two people who were attracted to each other but sensed that their relationship could be deeper than it was. They were friends, even sexual partners, but they sought deeper love. Their discontent irritated their neighbors and kinfolk who were having a difficult enough time just getting by. The couple set off, bearing the light and the dark in their pouches, and they found the Great Stone. They went into it, and they found their way past the dangers there. Tereneel, the Little Voice, promised them a gift greatyer than each other if they survived this. They were separated by the trials, but each determined to go on anyway. Urvana found Gelstarn, the Beloved; and Demarath found Serumtha, the Lover. The pair had been sleeping, but once awakened these Grandmothers brought the two together again. They returned to their people, and they taught to them the rites of Awakening, and when they performed these ceremonies the Eighteen Awakened Powers returned to the people. ?The Great Grandmother took us to her womb,? they said, ?in the warmth and comfort of safety. We saw Imarja there, and now we remember what we had lost. We slept and have come home now to bring to you the blessings of old.?
They brought seed and stock for food and goods, and their contributions were the main reason that Esrolia was relatively healthy when the sun rose once again.
The Eighteen led the Ascending Rituals that transformed the Great Stone to be the Golden Egg that rose into the sky and ended the Darkness.

Now the quests of Urvarna and Demarath provide the structure for the initiation myths for Esrolian people. After they become adults they are qualified to undergo the rites to learn the powers of the gods.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford