Re: Digest Number 283

From: David Boatright <david.boatright_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:26:13 -0000

>Yes, this was my point about the descrimination (is it
>'descrimination' or 'discrimination'? I don't have a spell-checker
>here), not the realism or lack thereof, not the 'accuracy' to real-
>world cultures, but the message it gives to present-day players -
>decent men are warriors, decent women are housewives (or
>steadwives, or whatever). Hardly going to improve the image to
>potential female players! And whatever options are in ST will just
>serve to remind everyone that these are the fringes of acceptable
>society, only just acceptable behaviour.

To me that's good a step away from the PC correct generic D&D style fantasy. Where every village has a Sheriff and a general store and every n.p.c. in town is weapon master with full plate armour. IMO a character does not have to have 3 masteries in a weapon skill to make them a decent character. Just like in the real world where you don't have to walk around with .44 magnum to be a useful member of society. The ability to use weapons does not automatically make you free. Japanese weomen where expected to be proficient with a Naginata did they make them socially mobile.