Re: Gachi of Melib

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 21:51:11 +1200

At 11:07 AM 6/25/2006 -0700, you wrote:

> > I have been using ILH2/Lunar-like magic for the Five Fiery Form Cults
> > - Mystical Reverence that encompasses the different Worlds and Methods
> > of Magic. Teshnans can concentrate their Life-Flame on one of the
> > five Fiery Forms, and learn from any of their Form's Reverences
> > without much of a problem.

>Well, YGWV, and possibly Moon Design'sGWV, but the Lunars were *supposed to
>be* the only only humans with Otherworld beings who actually mixed magic
>(under the rubric of it being "Lunar" rather than Theistic, Animist or
>Sorcerous).

There is the High Gods method of worship as described in Masters of Luck and Death p45 (boxed insert) which may be better suited for the Teshnans then.

Hence taking a stab, the three stages of magic are:

Level one - common magic religions. At this level the magic is unconcentrated and cannot be used as active abilities.

Level two - concentration on a high god (Calyz, Furalor etc) as per MoLaD p45. Noticeable for the visible magic but has the cost of not being able to use any magic alien to the chosen fiery form. The chief effect here is that affinities cease to exist and are replaced with three feats.

Level three - discovery of the Secret. Since the magic of the High Gods is common magic which prevents practitioners from learning the secrets of their cult (as stated in MoLaD p45), the Teshnans have their own ways of obtaining secrets. IMO this involves a balance of magics from the worlds of play, desire and challenge. Furthermore (also IMO) these secrets would vary from Noble to Noble rather than being a one god, one secret paradigm that exists for the Heortlings.

Level four - discovery of the Great Secret.

--Peter Metcalfe