Re: Teshnos

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <janjero_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 21:14:02 +0100

Hi to all,

> Gianfranco Geroldi wrote:
>
> >As for Teshnos: Ok, you don't adventure in T, so let's imagine that a
ship
> >from Gio disembark a party of Teshnan, sent by Garusharp, to jeopardize
the
> >local middlemen who trade with Melib. Your party is hired by the local
> >Goldentongue or Dormali to defend his interests (and life!).
>
> IMO Garusharp wouldn't bother interfering with Melib. There are
> plenty of mainland Teshnans that would.

I agree. It was a joke: an improbable excuse to force a group of Teshnan in the PCs-crowded area of DP.

> >How do you imagine the Teshnan villains?
>
> The most prominent type of Teshnan "villian" would be the Solfi
> Nobles. They are part of the Establishment and not interfered
> with. Trafficking with outsiders is considered corrupt and foul
> in Teshnos so these guys practice it wholeheartedly. They are
> not in it for the wealth (as they have plenty of that) but for
> the supporters as this will determine their status viz-a-viz
> each other.

I don't truly understand this. The Solfites like to dirt their hands in order to
gain supporters (among the strangers)?!

> The Solfi Nobles are the type of people that would bankroll James
> Bond Villains in any type of scheme (be it to inflict the Hero
> Wars Dome on an unwanting Nochet Populace or to resurrect the
> sunken lands of Slontos in all their evil glory) so long as the
> Villain was credibly delivering their stuff to foreign dopes.
> They are also somewhat naive about the outside world and don't
> have any idea how well their dope could be pushed compared to
> the current practice.

Sorry, which Villain? Are they not the Villains, in a naive sense?

> They however cannot ignore Garusharp's anathema upon Harstar
> without loss of status and so must make use of fallen Teshnans
> and other go-betweens (even Babadi and Goondas) to operate
> the cartels in Melib. Even though Harstar hates them, he contents
> himself by taxing their activities so he can raise an army to
> conquer Teshnos.

Babadi and... who?
Do Harstar taxes anyone outside of Melib?

> A certain type of fallen Teshnan would be the Servants of the
> Darklight (i.e. the same one that burns in the Thanatari Temples).
> Their existence is so abominable to Teshnan eyes that they are
> executed and do not return. They are ultimately responsible to
> a shrouded high priest that listens to the whisperings of a
> colossal skull beneath Than Ulbar somewhere in the Wastelands.
> They have infiltrated the many of the Cartels (and control a few)
> and use their cartels to spread their own brand of chaos.

I don't follow this thread, because I consider it too predictable ant typical ( or shoul I say: topycal? :-))

> Next would be the Ashurtans. Their functions in the whole
> business are to collect taxes and they do this very brutally.

Worhsippers of whom?

> >Are they Theists or Mystics? I imagine a combination of the two, like a
> >misapplied Mysticism or a Henoteistic Eastern Sect. I would be very
> >interested in hearing others' opinions.
>
> Teshnans on the whole are Theists. The Zitro path is mystical.
> The nobles are studying a transcendental consciousness (I
> suppose it might be considered swotting up on a great secret).

Ok. It fits well with my interpretation and campaign. One of my PC is a mystic Zytro Argon Monk. His specialty is the "illusion of religion".

> The Servants of the Darklight would have a smattering of
> Thantari powers while the Ashurtans can only do evil magic
> of any sort.
>
> --Peter Metcalfe

Thanks a lot. You helped me, indeed!

Ciao