Re: Orlanthi Prostitution

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 15:39:36 EST

Gareth Martin:

<< > (unlike medieval Europeans, or indeed, Malkioni) have no
> taboos against sex
> before marriage anyway, which makes prostitution are less
> commercially viable
> career path.

 I don't think that's quite the clientele they would be catering for; its much more a case of sex DURING marriage.>>

     I'm not sure how you'd get away with performing such a heinous sin on a regular basis in a small rural community, though. By abusing a bond which has been divinely instituted by the gods, I think you'd be letting yourself in for a lot of trouble - especially if you follow an aspect of one of those gods, as female entertainers apparently do...

 <<Maybe this is just bad luck, but there is a historical strand in which women in entertainment are assumed to be prostitutes, sometimes legitimately.  >>

     Could be the case in the West, I'll grant you. Or in Dara Happa, come to that. It just doesn't sound Heortling though IMO.

Trotsky