Re: Re: Who else is a Newbie? And other thoughts...

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 10:33:34 -0700

> What advice/info/tips can you give someone who's just getting into HQ?
> It seems to have a strong community vibe, and the cultural flavor is
> obvious. What else?

The First Rule: Your Glorantha *will* vary (abbreviated YGWV). Don't worry about it. If what you want to do contradicts something in "canon" do what *you* want, play the game *you* want to play.

The Final Rule: Maximum Game Fun (MGF). If rules get in the way of the having fun, ignore them.

One of the Middle Rules: Yes But.
If a player comes up with in idea that doesn't suit the game/your idea, don't just shoot it doen in flames with "No." If at all possible allow it ("Yes", but let the player know that it's got some problem ("But..."). If he wants to use "Death" magic to heal a person, come up with the "but" - "Okay, I'll let you improvise a healing feat, but it's going to have a humongous improv penalty, and you'll lose some of your piety - Humakt doesn't want his magic misused this way..."

Basically, while the rules are there to lend a hand, they aren't supposed to get in the way. Same with background material. HQ requires a light touch on rules, not a heavy hand. If you are looking up rules more than playing, that's a bad thing.

RR
- Richelieu