Re: Thunder Rebels

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:45:38 -0800

Nick wrote

> Everyone worships Orlanth through one of his sons. ... Does Erik
> Twosword, who used to think he worshiped Orlanth Adventurous say that
> he worships Destor, who followed Orlanth's example, or he worships
> Orlanth in the manner first discovered by Destor?

Most of the subcults can be considered "masks" of Orlanth: "Drogarsi was the name Orlanth used ..." "Orlanth called himself Desemborth ..."

Graham

> Thunder Rebels gives female characters the heady choice of
> housewife, medic, or
> prostitute.

Firstly, nothing about the Low Entertainer keyword says prostitute. Secondly, the previous paragraph adds more occupations. Thirdly, if you go by that list then there are no god-talkers, crafters, or merchants of either gender. In fact, you are giving the heady list of keywords that are restricted to only women.

> I also suggested the problem could have largely been sorted
> by including Vinga in the Orlanth write up

Apparently she is no longer considered an Orlanth subcult. Of course, you can still use her writeup in Hero Wars for the time being.

> I said "we'll have to wait for Storm Tribe for interesting
> female characters". Admittedly that is ignoring the Ernalda the Queen and
> similar cults and some of the advanced occupations. But that's because I
> (and I suspect many others) aren't running campaigns where people are
> playing such characters.

At the moment, there isn't such a Seattle Farmer's Collective game, but there certainly have been! Besides, all this does is point out that your existing female characters are unusual members of society -- which we already knew, since they're player characters.

> Hmmm. I seem to be the only one who has come across 'low entertainer' as
> euphemism for 'prostitute'.
>
> Perhaps I am reading more into some of this than I should be...

Actually, you're not reading, I figured you hadn't gotten as far as p.160.

Jonas

> On page 21 it says that female tribal rulers are called kings, but this
> terminology is not consistently followed through. Frex, Kallyr is called
> a queen on page 92.

In KoDP, we figured that collectively, all tribal rulers, male or female, are called kings. A single female tribal ruler is called a queen.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein