Re: Re: Orlanthi - Ralians, Talastari, oh my

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:28:47 -0500

Rob wrote:

> Hi
>
> Guy spots why some discussions should be conducted on the digest! LOL
>
> --- In HeroQuest-RPG_at_yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:HeroQuest-RPG%40yahoogroups.com>, Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...> wrote:
>
> > This level of detail is vastly intimidating to ones such as me, who
> have
> > merely been RQing on the fringes of Glorantha for 25+ years. I long
> for
> > the RQ2-RQ3 days, when the Godlearner POV made gaming not only
> > understandable, but, dare I say it, FUN...
> >
> > --
> > --Guy Hoyle
>
> I'm with you Guy - I am a huge Glorantha fan, but I have no time with
> much of the esotera, especially when I don't see it as gameable
> material.

Don't get me wrong; I WANT to believe, like Mulder. I really like many aspects of HeroQuest and HQ-era Glorantha, such as the Thunder Brothers,   common magic, common religions, etc., but there's a LOT I just don't get. On the Digest, I typically lurk, skimming a bit for something, anything, I might be able to use, or even understand. Those who love the esoterica should keep on using it, but I'd most likely skim over a lot of the differences between the worship of Orlanth in Ralios and Dragon Pass. Maybe comment on the different words they have in their prayers, and introduce someone from a subcult they don'ty have "back home", and occasionally violate some local custom that escalates into a conflict.

But what they hey, my only real Gloranthan gaming now is using a variant of RQ3; we have been doing it for about 13 years now, but it suits us.

--
--Guy Hoyle

"Live every day as if you're dying Of a contagious disease that turns
people you bite into zombies."
The Onion, January 25, 2006 | Issue 42�04